March 16, 2010

4 days until the 2010 Toronto Wine and Cheese show!

Last year was my first big wine show, the 2009 Toronto wine and cheese show held at the International Centre up by the airport...where I saw my first concert by the way....Ozzy. It rocked!!



Anyway at the wine show I drank a lot of wine.

A lot.

By the end I felt like Hunter S. Thomson...goddamn lizards everywhere.

I still have all my barely legible notes.

The top 5 winners for me were:

1. Vega Sicilia Unico Gran Reserva '98, Ribera del Duero, Spain ($419)
2. Ch. Mouton-Rothschild '04, Paulliac, Bordeaux, France ($395)
3. Ch. Haut-Brion '04, Pessac-Leognan, Bordeaux, France ($329)
4. Ch. De Fargues '01, Sauternes, Bordeaux, France ($119)
5. Mission Hill Oculus '05, British Columbia, Canada ($60)


Also the oysters and prosciutto were pretty good.

As you can see, winning don't come cheap. But of course that's the point of a wine show..you can try all manner of wines that you might normally not try either because of price or availability.

The website has a list of the wines they plan on showcasing:

http://www.towineandcheese.com/exhibitor-list.html

in my sights for '10 are:

06 Echezeaux Grand Cru Jadot
05 Gaja Barbaresco
03 Valbuena 5 Vega Sicilia
and well...pretty much all the bordeauxs and brunellos.

But in addition to tasting some of the best wines in the world, the great thing about the show is that you can taste a zillion wines that are reasonably priced.

It's easy to find good wine buy spending $50+ a bottle...that's no challenge.

Finding a $20 bottle of wine that tastes like $50...that's the challenge.

Last year I tasted  Kim Crawford's Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc $20 ('Pink grapefruit!" I exclaimed) and it's been one of our house whites ever since. Also I liked Mission Hill's reserve merlot $22, but I can't remember it.

So this year I hope to taste some mind blowing wines I can't afford. But I also hope to find some inexpensive, over-delivering, yummy bottles that we can all afford.

I think we're going Saturday, I'll report back, Sunday...maybe monday....or maybe Tuesday.

No comments:

Post a Comment