February 2, 2010

Wine ratings and the 100 point scale.

In this blog I'll use the 100 pt scale popularized by American wine guru Robert Parker simply because it seems to be the most common. It’s almost unheard of to find an undrinkable wine these days which is why almost every wine for sale will at least get a “drinkable” score of 80. Which is to say it’s better than homemade or what you would make in a do-it-yourself wine shop (this is where the 50’s 60’s and 70’s scores can be used!).
Bad commercial wine is uncommon. Modern wine technology and science is such that it’s just easier to make decent wine than ever before. This means that just by virtue of the fact that some winery made a bunch of wine and bothered to stick labels on it and got it into stores means that it’s at the very least drinkable.
This is why the 100 pt scale is in practice a 20 pt scale…80-100.
The way it works for me is basically this:
80-84: drinkable, forgettable
85-89: above average, something I would buy again.
90-94: Way above average, makes you say “oh wow!”
95+: Orgasmic, so good you want to punch the guy next to you out of frustration at your loss of words.
Price should have no bearing on the rating unless I specify that I’ve curved the score accordingly. A wine with a score of 92 should be a 92 regardless if it’s $20 or $200.

I’m also of the opinion that a wine can’t truly and properly be tasted unless you swallow it.

1 comment:

  1. I'm guessing you'd rate my homemade toilet wine at least an 85 ... right? Don't make me get my prison shank.

    ReplyDelete